I don’t know if it’s the changing weather or something else but lately, my skin has been really dry, particularly on my legs. I had tried a few different lotions, none of which worked and my legs just kept getting worse.
Just when I was about to try looking for a super-strong medicated lotion, I came across this recipe for natural homemade body lotion from One Crazy Mom. Honestly, this was more of a “what have I got to lose?” situation, but I was pleasantly surprised because seriously this stuff is amazing. And the biggest bonus? It’s all-natural with just 4 ingredients.
Now I will caution that I’ve only just started using this stuff. But seriously in just a few days, it’s made a huge difference. Now I’m super intrigued to try some of Carrie’s other homemade cosmetic recipes – she has loads of other ideas like homemade makeup remover and shaving foam.
Homemade Lotion Recipe Ingredients
- ¼ – ⅓ Cup/ 60-80mls Coconut Oil
- ⅓ Cup/80mls Pure Shea Butter
- 1 Tablespoon/ 15g Of Cornstarch (Optional)
- 10 Drops Therapeutic Grade Lavender Essential Oil
- 8 Oz/ 250ml Jar
- Soften your Shea Butter over a bowl of hot water or in the microwave
- Mix in your room temperature coconut oil (should be in a solid or soft state, not melted), with a hand or stand mixer for about 15 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Now mix in your essential oils. I love lavender essential oil as it helps me relax, but this would also work well with vanilla or citrus oils as well.
- Transfer your natural homemade body lotion to an 8Oz/ 250ml Jar.
When making this, I did read through the comments from everyone who had tried it. Based on those recommendations, I reduced the coconut oil a little and added some cornstarch to reduce the oiliness of this. Honestly, it turned out great! Again, I’ve only just tried making this for the first time, so I can’t yet speak to long-term use, but so far so good!
Also, Carrie has advised it will keep 3-6 months in an airtight container so I’m hoping this batch will last a while. Try it yourself and let me know how it goes in the comments below!